Day five of National Eye Health Week 2023.
Today we’ll be looking at the role lifestyle plays in helping to keep our eyes and vision healthy.
Many of us are unaware that poor lifestyle habits can have a negative impact on eye health. Our top tips to help everyone live well and see well include:
- Have regular sight tests. Once every two years, unless your optometrist advices otherwise
- Quit smoking. Smokers are up to four-times more likely to lose their sight than non-smokers
- Wear sunglasses. Cumulative UV exposure increases your risk of macular degeneration and cataracts
- Eat healthily. Eye-friendly nutrients in fruit, vegetables, fish, nuts and oils can all help protect your sight and relieve dry eye
- Watch your weight. Maintaining a healthy weight can help protect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and glaucoma
- Be active. Being physically active has been shown to reduce your risk of visual impairment by 58 per cent versus somebody with a sedentary lifestyle.*
Try our eye health calculator to see if your lifestyle could be putting you at increased risk of avoidable sight loss.
Click Here to download other resources.