Back to Home

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 My Local Optician Forum :General Discussion :General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: Confusion with glasses prescription Post Reply Post New Topic
TheUser

Quote TheUser Replybullet Topic: Confusion with glasses prescription
    Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 13:25
After I had went to the opticians a few months ago, I had started taking an interest in my eyes' health. The first thing I should state is that I am definitely myopic (I can see clearly up close but the further away an object I am viewing, the blurrier my vision is).

But the glasses prescription is as follows:

RIGHT EYE:
Distance:
Sph: +3.00
Cyl: -1.25
Axis: 108.0
Prism:
Base:

Near:

LEFT EYE:
Distance:
Sph: +3.00
Cyl: -1.00
Axis: 63.0
Prism:
Base:

Near:

Really, what I want to know is the severity of my myopia.
After reading articles online of how to understand opticians' prescriptions, I found that the plus (+) meant the eye was hyperopic, which is not the case.

So alternatively I thought as it is a prescription the plus dioptres would be to diminish the present minus dioptres of my myopia, in this case (+3 lens to counteract my -3 myopia to create 0 (emmetropia)).

Am I correct, am I 3 dioptres myopic?

I apologise if the answer to this question is incredibly simple.

Thank you for your time.

IP IP Logged
jim1

Quote jim1 Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 15:04
The simple answer to your question is that a positive corrective lens(+) is for hyperopes (the long sighted) who if young can normally see in the distance albeit with headaches which proves harder when they read close up.

Those senior members of the public over the age of 45 + will need correction earlier with reading which means that a plus lens can be given just for reading but your +3,00 suggests they would be senior citizens.

I suggest you go back and chat to the optometrist or the practice personnel and they will explain everything to you.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on here when you get the information?

Edited by jim1 - 24 Nov 2012 at 16:48
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version