Back to Home

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 My Local Optician Forum :General Discussion :General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: First pair of glasses. Post Reply Post New Topic
c0decowboy

Quote c0decowboy Replybullet Topic: First pair of glasses.
    Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 08:55
I recently bought my first pair of glasses. My prescription is:

sph       cyl       axis
R   +1.25     -0.50     110

L    +1.25     -0.50     90

I am on day 2 of using them and while very close objects like a book or my phone/ ipad do appear clearer, my computer monitor is slightly blurry and uncomfortable to look at. They are meant to be for reading and working at the computer.

I told the optician my job (web developer) and that I am in front of a screen all day so I would have assumed that the screen would also be sharper.

I bought the glasses online after choosing my frames in various shops. The online retailer advised me that in can take up to 5 days to get used to reading glasses and that the depth of field should improve.

Is that correct? Do I need varifocal lenses?

confused :-/
IP IP Logged
admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 14:31

Welcome to the world of presbyopia, a normal condition of the eye for the over forties where the lens within your eye loses its abilty to focus close up and middle distance.  As its your first pair and the reading add appears quite low one would have hoped your depth of focus would have spanned from the reading point through to your screen.  That obviously depends on how far away your screen is?  This is an effect that will not change although arguably you might move nearer or get used to the slight blur.

As this is your main occupation a form of occupational or VDU varifocal lenses set to focus across your work station would be very helpful and remember every 2 to 3 years your will need more add and get less depth of focus so getting used to varifocals now will also be much easer than later in life.

If you work for a company you might find they will help you with the costs as it is connected to VDU usage.  Read about VDU regulations on this site.

Hope this helps 

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version