Back to Home

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 My Local Optician Forum :General Discussion :General Discussion
Message Icon Topic: New glasses - Everything now trapezoidal Post Reply Post New Topic
mobile

Quote mobile Replybullet Topic: New glasses - Everything now trapezoidal
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 18:30
Hi,

I've just got new glasses. until now I have not been a regular wearer, though I have had classes for distance vision for a number of years which I wear occasionally. My new glasses are for close work, reading and VDU use mainly. The problem is that square objects are very trapezoidal when wearing them. The edge of my computer screen looks like / \. This is not a minor distortion, it is quite pronounced. Definition is definitely improved, but I'm struggling with this shape distortion. Moving my head from side to side, which changes the axis, causes the trapezoid to distort, i.e. I can make it lean more to the left or the right. Is this normal?
IP IP Logged
admin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote admin Replybullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 16:28
Hi we have answered this question some time ago, so it gives you an idea about how common the problem is.

I guess from your comments that you are likely to be astigmatic but not of any great power. Hence in the past you have coped most of the time without wearing distance glasses. You coped because your brain knowing that a PC or TV is square adjusted the image over many years that it received (angled) to the square shape your brain then communicates to you. 

Now you have to wear them more often, I assume with a reading and close add for near to middle work.

When your brain receives a corrected (square) image for some time it will unfortunetly continue its adjusting role, but this time from straight to angled. Continued wear and perhaps using your distance correction full time for a week should train the brain to desist from its adjusting process.

A few caveats: Opticians can occassionaly get things wrong so ask them to check that the prescription glazed in the frame is correct and centred in front of your pupils. If you are trying varifocals for the first time do the same. If all is well with the lenses ask for a retest.

If this is proved correct consider a better varifocal (free form) which is almost free of any distortion at any angle.

Hope this helps
Smile 
IP IP Logged
DO47

Quote DO47 Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 14:09
Too much cyl power/axis diretion, basically as above you are now slightly astigmatic and your Optician has corrected for this, but sounds as if they've over corrected, simply go back and ask for a re-check!
IP IP Logged
harrybene12

Quote harrybene12 Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 08:14
You might have an adverse reaction to excessive astigmatism (Cyl).
correction. I am 100% sure it is not the lens material, but rather the severe axis change of your astigmatism, along with the increase in power. Did Dr. #2 have access to Dr. #1 s prescription? If so, he should NEVER have made that abrupt a change. No doubt this is why youre experiencing such distortion and visual issues. have them fix it for you. Good luck
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version