THE GATEKEEPERS OF EYECARE
Devon Local Optical Committee (LOC) is the organisation representing optometrists in Devon. It liaises with the NHS on matters relating to eyecare and represents Devon optometrists in negotiations with them. It also runs a number of study days throughout the year.
To represent, support and communicate with local contractors and performers to ensure, as gatekeepers of eye care, the effective delivery of Ophthalmic Services across the whole of Devon.
Organisational Aims of the Local Optical Committee
- To work with Optometry Practices and across the health system to improve eye health outcomes and reduce inequalities in the provision of care.
- To work with partners to deliver eye care services which meet local need
- To work with partners to develop community orientated eye care services
- To work with Registered Eye Care Providers to recruit, retain and develop the current and future workforce
- To advise the NHS on matters affecting Optometrists providing General Ophthalmic Services
- To enable Registered Eye Care Providers in the area to formulate collective views and develop ideas for improvement and better ways of working
- To advise Commissioners on the scope and efficiency of eye care service locally
- To provide a range of educational events for local Registered Eye Care Providers, ensuring opportunities for peer support and developing relationships with secondary care ophthalmologists.
Devon Local Optical Committee, Deer Park Business Centre, Haldon Hill, Kennford, Exeter, Devon EX6 7XX
Business Manager: Jonathan Drew firstname.lastname@example.org (01392 834026)
- Charles Bill (Chairman) email@example.com
- Peter Noakes (Vice-Chairman)
- Fiona Hiscox (Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Tabb (Treasurer)
- Paul Bradford, Nicola Burke, Mark Bushby, Josie Forte, Max Halford, Eiohn Hayes, Ian Holten and Nicki Pullen
Monthly Newsletters are produced by the LOC: click here to view
Eye Health Leaflet: click here to view
The LOC has produced an Eye Health Leaflet which covers Eye Care Professionals, sight tests, diet and lifestyle, eye conditions and what to do when things go wrong.
Public Health Factsheets: click here to view
The LOC have recently produced a series of Ophthalmic Public Health Factsheet for the three local Public Health Teams across Devon, Plymouth and Torbay. The factsheets include information on sight tests – who pays?, Optician practices across the county, uptake of NHS sight tests, estimated prevalence of ophthalmic conditions, public health outcomes framework, smoking, falls, diabetes, the RNIB sight loss data tool and ophthalmic services in community practice.